This Broccoli Lemon Farro Salad is packed with good-for-you things like whole grains, broccoli, spinach and chickpeas, only has 7 ingredients, and oh did I mention it’s DELICIOUS? Excellent for meal prep – this protein-packed “salad” will keep you feeling full and energized for hours!
I made this recipe for meal prep a few weeks ago and fell in love with it. It’s inspired by this Broccoli Rubble Farro Salad from Smitten Kitchen, which I made a few tweaks and additions to.
What is Farro?
If you’ve never tried farro before, you’re missing out. It’s a whole grain derived from roasted durum wheat with a texture similar to bulgur – tender and chewy.
Typically, I find it in the baking section of the grocery store next to all the Bob’s Red Mill flours and grains, but I’ve also seen it in the pasta/rice aisle near the rice and quinoa. It’s not at every grocery store though, and the price on Amazon is only a dollar more than what I get it for at the grocery store. I had to go to 4 different grocery stores to find it one time because the one I normally get it from was out. If I knew the price was so close on Amazon, I definitely would have just ordered it online…
How can I change it up?
If you’re gluten-free, you could definitely substitute the farro with brown rice or quinoa. I think brown rice would more closely resemble the texture of farro, but quinoa would be good too. I also topped it with this vegan cashew “parmesan” from Minimalist Baker. It only has 4 ingredients, takes less than 5 minutes to make and it adds so much rich, cheesy, salty flavor! I highly recommend it if you have the time. If you aren’t vegan, you could also use regular parmesan or even feta!
Also, as previously mentioned, this Broccoli Lemon Farro Salad is awesome for meal prep! It keeps well in the fridge and is full of protein. So go ahead and add it to your rotation now. 😉
Not only is this "salad" full of good-for you ingredients like whole grains, green veggies, and chickpeas, it's also delicious, super filling, and keeps well in the fridge - perfect for meal prep!
- 1 cup semi-pearled farro
- 1 lb broccoli, chopped into large florets (use the stem too! - chopped into 1/2" pieces)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic (5-6 cloves)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 14.5-oz can (1 1/2 cups) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 of a 10-oz package of frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (juice from 2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo*
- Optional - lemon wedges, 1/2 cup vegan cashew "parmesan"**
- 1. Add farro and 2 1/2 cups of water to a medium sauce pan on high heat. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and let simmer for 25-30 minutes until farro is chewy and tender. Once cooked, drain any excess water and add to a large mixing bowl to cool.
- 2. While farro cooks, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and once boiling, add broccoli. Boil for 3 minutes until just soft but still crisp. Immediately drain and run under cold water to stop the cooking.
- 3. Shake as much water off the broccoli as possible and pour onto a cutting board. Roughly chop the broccoli into small pieces. Heat a large frying pan on medium high heat and add the olive oil. When hot, add the minced garlic and sauté for a minute or so until the garlic is just turning golden brown and add the broccoli along with 1/2 tsp of salt. Cook for 4-5 minutes until broccoli is just tender. Don't overcook it otherwise it will get mushy!
- 4. Add broccoli, garlic and oil to the bowl of farro along with chickpeas, spinach, lemon juice, vegan mayo and 1/2 tsp salt and stir to combine. Serve warm or at room temperature topped with vegan parm and a wedge of lemon!
This recipe is adapted from Smitten Kitchen's Broccoli Rubble Farro Salad.
* I like to use the Just Mayo brand, but feel free to use whatever mayo you like.
** I used this recipe from Minimalist Baker but if you aren't vegan, regular parmesan or feta would be delicious too!