I’m a huge believer in breakfast, it’s by far my favorite meal of the day. I’m one of those people that is hungry as soon as my feet hit the ground when I get out of bed. I generally try to avoid any breakfast cereal out of a box since 95% of them are loaded with sugar and a billion ingredients I can’t pronounce. However, I do love the idea of cereal, a bowl of sweet and crunchy grains immersed in ice cold milk (or almond milk as I did here). Luckily for us, it’s super simple and easy to make your own healthy breakfast cereal in less than 30 minutes! (Did I mention it tastes better too?)
This is a highly customizable recipe. I used dark chocolate, dried cherries and almonds as my add-ins, but you could use just about any combination of dried fruit and nuts and seeds you want! Just follow the recipe as is but substitute any dried fruit for the cherries and any chopped nut for the sliced almonds. A couple more ideas are a tropical mix with dried pineapple, shredded coconut and cashews, or maybe pecans, dried cranberries and 1/4 cup of cocoa powder mixed with the oats? The bottom line is use what you like, that’s the best part of making your own, you can add all your favorite things!
I like to eat this with vanilla almond milk or greek yogurt for breakfast with some fresh fruit, but it’s also really nice to have around as an afternoon snack. It’s the perfect stand-in for a sugar craving – super filling, satisfyingly sweet and zero refined sugar and that, my friends, is something to be excited about.
Alright, let’s get on to the recipe, shall we?
The best granola recipe! Bittersweet chocolate, tart cherries, and sweet and crunchy almonds and oats make this the perfect breakfast cereal, afternoon snack to satisfy that sugar craving, or healthy dessert!
- 4 cups old-fashioned oats*
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 oz chopped dark chocolate or dark chocolate chips**
- 1 cup dried cherries
- To serve:
- milk, almond milk, or greek yogurt
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, almonds, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg and stir. DO NOT add the chocolate or cherries at this point. We will add these at the end once it has cooled.
- 3. Next, add syrup, olive oil and vanilla to the bowl. Mix well and pour onto baking sheet.
- 4. Bake for 7 minutes, toss and bake for 7 more minutes. When it smells delicious and looks a bit toasted, it's done!
- 5. Let the granola cool completely before adding the chocolate and dried cherries (or else the chocolate will melt and make a gooey mess). Serve with milk, almond milk or greek yogurt!
- 6. Store leftovers in an airtight container.
*For gluten-free, make sure you use gluten-free oats.
**For vegan, use dairy-free chocolate. I like the Enjoy Life brand.