These Green Monster Muffins are seriously delicious and full of good-for-you ingredients like spinach, carrots, and flax seeds. They’re fun to make with kids but they’d also be a great healthy snack option for meal prep for yourself!
If you’re looking for a good laugh, watch Evan (9 years old) and Oliver (6 years old) make the green monster muffins in the video above! These kids are amazing. I’ve never laughed so much while filming and editing a video before. They’re too much fun.
These muffins are great for kids because they’re packed with veggies but they won’t even know it. If you’re making them with kids, it’s fun to make the monster faces on top, but these would also be a healthy snack or breakfast option to make for yourself (monster faces optional of course ;).
Made with all whole wheat flour, 6 cups of spinach, and 1 cup of carrots, these are already pretty good for you. If you want to make them a tad healthier though, you can definitely substitute the chocolate chips for raisins or chopped almonds or your favorite dried fruit or nut.
These veggie-packed muffins are a fantastic healthy snack or breakfast option for your kids (or yourself)!
- 1 cup almond milk
- 6 ounces of fresh spinach (about 6 cups)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp flax seeds
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (or your favorite dried fruit or nut)
- Optional: raisins, walnuts and pecans to make monster faces
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 F and grease a muffin tin.
- 2. Blend the almond milk, spinach, brown sugar, and flax seeds until completely smooth.
- 3. In a large bowl, whisk the wheat flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
- 4. Add the wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients along with the carrots and chocolate chips and mix until just combined.
- 5. Distribute the batter among the muffin cups filling each cup about 2/3 full. If desired, use walnuts, pecans, raisins and chocolate chips to make monster faces on top of each muffin. Bake for 30 minutes.
- 6. Remove from oven and let cool. Enjoy!