Where do I even begin with this bowl? This is the meal that Caleb and I have been meal prepping for years, that we come back to over and over and over. We’ve literally made it dozens of times. This is the meal that we never get sick of, our lunchtime staple. If you’re looking for a delicious, solid stand-by that you can make on Sunday night and look forward to all week, this is it. It’s chock full of delicious, healthy plant-based protein to keep you full ALL DAY long.
The roasted veggies are so incredibly flavorful and delicious and this sauce is insane. I cannot even begin to describe how heavenly this sauce is. If you don’t make anything else I post, please make this sauce. It’s ultra creamy, luscious, smoky and bursting with flavor. We make it every single week, if not multiple times a week. It’s good on everything!
As far as substitutions, this veggie combination is the one we use the most, but you could use just about any combo you want and adjust roasting time accordingly, (just google it). The grains and beans are also pretty flexible. Sometimes we use chickpeas, or navy beans, even pinto beans work. I used homemade black beans in this video which makes the bowl even more flavorful, but you can just use canned of course. We also sometimes switch up the grain and use bulgur or brown rice. Pretty much any combination is delicious; as long as you have the roasted veggies and the sauce, it will be awesome.
A healthy, delicious bowl to meal prep on Sunday and look forward to all week long! This meal is brimming with plant-based proteins to keep you full all day long 😉
- 2 lb broccoli, chopped into bite-size florets
- 1 lb button mushrooms, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced thinly
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups quinoa
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 3 cups black beans (2- 14.5 oz cans, drained)
- 3/4 cup raw cashews*
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- heaping 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce**
- 1. Preheat the oven to 425 F. Put all the broccoli on one baking sheet and put mushrooms, peppers and onions on another baking sheet. Drizzle all veggies in olive oil, and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Toss until evenly coated and bake for 30 minutes with broccoli on bottom rack and other veggies on top. After 30 minutes, remove broccoli from oven, put other pan of veggies on bottom rack, and cook for an additional 15 minutes, then remove from oven.
- 2. While veggies are roasting, add the quinoa and 1 3/4 cup water to a pot, cover and put on high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 10 minutes, covered. Then remove from heat, keep covered and set aside.
- 3. Now, make the sauce. Add the cashews, 3/4 cup water, lemon juice, heaping 1/2 tsp salt and chipotle peppers in adobo sauce to a blender and blend until smooth.
- 4. To assemble the bowls, add about 3/4 cup of cooked quinoa, a heaping 1/2 cup of beans, and 1/5 of all the veggies to each container. Keep the sauce in a jar until you're ready to eat the bowls. To eat, warm up a bowl in the microwave, drench in sauce and devour 😋
* If you don't have a high-powered blender, you need to soak the cashews for 4-6 hours or overnight to ensure the sauce is smooth and creamy.
** For mild sauce, add 1 chipotle pepper, for medium, add two, for extra spicy, add 3 peppers.