In less than an hour I’m leaving to compete in the Regional Championships this weekend with my club ultimate frisbee team in the hopes of earning a bid for the National Championships! I’m insanely excited to say the least, (and I need to go pack ) so I’m going to keep this short and sweet, this is not your typical fried rice! This recipe is absolutely bursting with flavor; imagine fried rice that tastes like thai red curry (YUM) then top it with crispy, juicy, sweet caramelized fresh pineapple. YESSS. I love the varying textures, from the tender rice, to the crunchy bell pepper to the soft, sweet pineapple chunks. Everything meshes together so well, and creates a medley of flavors that is just so satisfying.
To make this more of a complete meal, you could add some crispy, fried tofu or your protein of choice. As far as veggies, I chose to use bell pepper, carrots, zucchini, and red cabbage, but you can mix and match your favorite veggies/whatever you have on hand as long as they cook quickly!
Fried rice bursting with thai coconut curry flavor, stir-fried with tons of veggies and topped with juicy, sweet caramelized fresh pineapple! Top with fried tofu or your protein of choice for a delicious, healthy dinner!
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup Thai red curry paste
- 1 fresh pineapple, trimmed and sliced into 1/2" rounds, core removed
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 in ginger, grated
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1" pieces
- 3 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 1" rounds and sliced thinly
- 1/4 small red cabbage, sliced thinly
- 3 T soy sauce (or tamari for GF)
- 1 lime
- 1 tsp salt
- green onions, sliced thinly (optional)
- 1. Add brown rice, coconut milk, water and red curry paste into a pot, cover and put on high heat. Once boiling, keep covered and reduce heat to low and cook until liquid is all absorbed, about 40 minutes.
- 2. Put a large, deep skillet on medium high heat, and add a tablespoon of oil. When hot, add pineapple slices in a single layer. When one side is golden brown, flip and brown other side. Then remove from pan and fry rest of slices.
- 3. Cut caramelized pineapple into bite-size pieces.
- 4. Heat the same pan you used to fry the pineapple on medium high heat and add another couple tablespoons of oil. When hot, add the onions, and cook for 5-8 minutes stirring frequently. When onions are slightly browned, add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring constantly for another minute or two.
- 5. Add the bell pepper and carrots to the pan next and stir-fry for 5 more minutes. Next add the zucchini and cabbage and cook for 3-4 more minutes. When all the veggies are cooked, add the cooked rice, soy sauce, juice of 1 lime, and salt. Mix rice and veggies together well and remove from heat.
- 6. Serve fried rice topped with caramelized pineapple chunks and sliced green onions! YUM 😊