We made the move! We’re finally (pretty much) settled in to the house we’re renting and I’m so excited to finally share my next video with you guys. I was inspired to make this recipe because I’ve been considering going vegan again, but egg sandwiches are a staple in my diet. So I set out to make a vegan egg sandwich and let me tell you, this one does not disappoint!
The key to getting that “eggy” flavor is Himalayan Black Salt, also known as Kala Namak. I bought some on Amazon but you also might be able to find some at a natural foods or health foods store. It has a very distinctive “eggy” smell (and taste) that comes from the sulfur compounds in the salt. A little bit goes a long way too, you only need 1/2 tsp for 4 tofu “egg” patties.
To top it all off, these come together super fast. The only cooking involved is frying the “egg” patties for a couple minutes, so overall, these take only 15-20 minutes to come together. I added tomato and spinach to my sandwich which was delicious, but you can add your favorite toppings, or no toppings.
A delicious vegan version of a fried egg sandwich! Like an egg mcmuffin, but better..
- 1 14 oz package Firm Tofu
- 4 Tbsp neutral oil, like canola
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 T nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan Black Salt*
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- 2 Tbsp sriracha
- Handful of spinach
- 1 tomato
- 4 english muffins
- 1. Cut the block of tofu into 4 slabs, vertically. Using a mason jar lid or a cookie cutter, cut one circle out of each slab of tofu and dry both sides with a paper towel. Save the rest of the tofu for a stir-fry or other use.
- 2. Mix the salt, turmeric, nutritional yeast, and Himalayan Black Salt in a small bowl. Coat both sides of each tofu patty with oil and then a generous amount of the spice mixture.
- 3. Put a tablespoon of oil in a skillet and put on medium heat. Once hot, add the tofu patties and fry on both sides until golden brown.
- 4. While the tofu is frying, mix the mayo and sriracha in a small bowl and set aside.
- 5. Toast the english muffins, spread sriracha mayo on both sides and add a tofu "egg" patty, a few leaves of spinach and a slice or two of tomato. Enjoy!
*You can buy Himalayan Black Salt (also known as Kala Namak) on Amazon or at your local health food store.